It Takes a “Village”

The whole point of a Girl Scout Gold Award project is to lead a team of experts to accomplish your goal. I was blessed with a fabulous team and a group of Generous Donors!
Sacramento Valley Photography: Bounce Day 2015 &emdash; BD2016-6

Choosing my team was one of the best parts of my project I got to recruit people of different skills and backgrounds and watch them work together, and build up a strong team that accomplished great things. I had multiple teams,

My Content Team was responsible for deciding the messages and ideas we would present through our project.The contact team consisted of doctors, students, and a trained disaster responder. Through our meetings we settled on the idea of key message modules, with easy to understand messages paired with the “official terms”, for example the title board for GO! included the term Evacuate. Our team made the choice to keep information sharp and to the point, and connect the viewers to pre-existing resources that while helpful, are largely ignored due to lack of visibility.

My Art Team  was responsible for creating the theme and artistic direction of the project. They developed the concept of road signs to tie the visual of the project together, and helped decide how information would be presented. Artists were assigned to one of 4 modules, or a specific task,  and allowed freedom of style and medium, provided it could hold up in storage and an outdoor environment (for example, no colored pencils  on something that could not be lamented).The result was a wide range of aesthetics that included, Maps used as backgrounds for evacuation information (the maps and information were laminated as a whole for preservation), a tri-fold display board used to create a visual “cabinet” of shelter in place supplies, a spray-painted Ron Weasley, and a digital project logo printed on t-shirts and a poster. A discount on t-shirt printing services was given by A-Z Embroidery.

My construction Team was responsible for painting the boards we used for the modules (a discount was given from Lowes on lumber, and paint was donated for free from Sherwin Williams) . To Give the modules a clean and crisp look the boards were painted white, this process took two days and claimed the khaki pants of one of our workers  (splatters know no bounds). part of my construction team also built the tripods to hold the modules, these were constructed from chord, lumber, and binder clips and held up rather well.

My Video Team was responsible for going into the community and having community members sign waivers and talk about how they prepare for disasters. The video team cut together a wonderful compilation video, that was featured in our project entitled “How Do You Prepare For The Worst?”.The video helped get people thinking about the little things they could do every day to prepare for disaster- which is a key part of disaster resilience. For more information of how to prepare for a disaster a little bit every day- visit  do1thing.com

My Technology Team was responsible for creating a technological “base of operations” as well as QR codes that connect people to the many sites of information we wanted to bring attention to. The technology team also built a google drive home for videos filmed by the video team, so that they could be accessed by people viewing the project, but were not put directly onto the internet, so we retained control of the videos and could protect the privacy of the community members involved.

My Game Design Team consisted of students of varying age as well as multiple adults. The team designed two games to help people think through preparedness. One game focused  the steps one should take while sheltering in place, and was designed as a race to put steps in order, with the winning team being the one to have the most steps correct in the allotted amount of time. The other game was designed to expose people to the idea of packing for an evacuation, and having to choose what to take and what to leave behind, participants could play alone, or against someone. Participants selected a “Family”, of either a dog, a grandmother, or an infant, and had an allotted amount of time to sort cards with items into three piles, can take, desire to take, and leave, with must take and can take having numerical limits. Participants were scored on how well they packed for their “family”- for example if one had the dog they had to bring dog food,and on their explanations of why they put what they did in their desired pile, like family photos versus a laptop. Members of my game design team also typed up the rules and created the cards for these games along with running them at the event.